Friday, March 26, 2010

Enabling ICS

I'm on fire this week. Another small help for our everyday use that I decided to post here since it took me quite a while to find it on the net.

I was trying to enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on Windows Vista and always got this error message:

"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
(null)"

Well, I Googled it and found this post which gave the solution, which is to enable the following services:

  • Application Layer Gateway Service
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness (NLA)
  • Plug And Play
  • Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
  • Remote Access Connection Manager
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Telephony
  • Windows Firewall

In my case, the Windows Firewall was the culprit. It's not ideal to have to have Windows Firewall running just to enable ICS, because I already have Symantec Firewall protecting me, so I hope Microsoft correct this sometime in the future.

No comments :

Post a Comment